Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Falling in love with Prince Edward Island


It was in the fall of 2001 that I first set eyes on the province I would eventually call home. At the time, flying to the Island from Montreal was extremely pricey, pretty much double the average $ 500 you would pay today for round-trip airfare. Since the cost was prohibitive, I flew in to Moncton where my fella picked me up. After making our way through the Port Elgin roundabout, every kilometre closer to the Island exponentially increased the butterflies in my stomach.

As we drove up to Confederation Bridge, I caught my first glimpse of the Island: red cliffs bordered by choppy ocean waters, the curvy concrete link between two provinces, a lighthouse and small clusters of houses along the shore. To this very day, I get goose bumps when I picture it in my mind and recount that moment. Before I ever knew what would happen with the fella, I fell in love with the Island at first sight.

Thirteen years later, my love affair with Prince Edward Island continues.
 
Photo by me - May 2014


No comments:

Post a Comment