Sunday, October 5, 2014

False Starts


According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, there are two main definitions of a false start. One is the mistake of starting too soon in a race. The other is an unsuccessful attempt to begin something, such as a career or a project.

Having fallen ill with the “plague” that is going around these days (I know at least three people who’ve been sick in the last week), my road trip has been delayed by a couple of days. Despite the collective disappointment, these things happen. Better take care of oneself instead of running on empty and spreading the “plague” around ;) 

The downtime gave me a chance to reflect on the value of false starts.


We’ve all had false starts. I don’t know anyone who hasn’t, at some point in their life, had difficulty getting a project off the ground, regardless of the nature of that project.

Maybe you planned a surprise party for your boyfriend or girlfriend and it fizzled because they showed up early. Maybe you had a great idea for a business but couldn’t find partners or funding. Maybe you planned on early retirement but your partner lost their job and you had to work longer than expected. Maybe you tried your hand at a sport or a hobby and realized you had no aptitude for these particular activities.

Maybe you married the person you thought was the love of your life but years in (maybe days!) you realized you weren’t compatible. Maybe you took a chance at reaching out to help someone but they refused your offer for reasons having nothing to do with you. Maybe you thought you understood a task to be performed in your work, but didn’t really understand it. The list goes on.

Many many moons ago, a learned and wise person said to me: “Dominique, there are no mistakes in life, just learning opportunities.” With that in mind, a false start is just another learning opportunity there to be seized. Being creatures of intelligence and free will, we choose whether to learn, or not. I choose to roll with imponderables, make the best of a situation and learn what I need to learn.

With that in mind, I am grateful for the false start to my road trip. Staying on the Island two extra days gave me time to take care of chores around my home, time to share a meal with my besties, time to have an in-depth conversation with my sister, time to enjoy the fall sunshine on PEI, and... time for a blue-eyed stranger to wink and say hello to me on Queen St. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment