Thursday, August 28, 2014

Music that moves the heart and soul


Earlier this week one of my besties and I went to see an absolutely magical show by the very talented PEI artist Lennie Gallant. The show is called “Searching for Abegweit: The Island Songs and Stories of Lennie Gallant.” For more about the show itself, I invite you to read the review by Lennie MacPherson published in The Guardian and the one by Mo Duffy Cobb from Arts East.


As I’ve previously shared, it was 13 years ago that I fell in love with Prince Edward Island. As an Islander by choice, listening to Lennie sing us through some of his favourite childhood memories growing up in a small fishing village on PEI’s north shore was like tapping into the very source of what makes the Island special for so many of us.



Through his words, his music and the images of his sister Karen Gallant’s paintings scrolling on the giant screen on stage, it felt like I had been swept up in a warm embrace made up of ocean breeze, salty water, marram grass and wharf fodder. In other words: pure joy.



Lennie’s music was not new to me – perish the thought! – but I’d never seen him live before. In revealing this to the other guests at our table, I ended up on the receiving end of a bit of (unwarranted) ridicule. The sensitive introvert in me was bruised as I don’t reveal myself easily, but by the time the music began, I had recovered.
  
The only way to describe what came next is that it was a musical and visual experience that moved my heart and soul. Despite all that was taking place on stage, I only had eyes for the images of Karen’s paintings and ears for Lennie himself. 

It was like I’d found a secret fountain and I couldn’t stop drinking. This replenishment came in handy when I readily cried during “Island Clay,” the images and music combining for perfect melancholy. If only I’d had tissues with me.


Great songwriting has always had that effect on me because what reaches me, what breaks through my protective shell – in either a positive or negative way – has always been... words.



I am grateful for music and songwriting that moves the heart and soul. It inevitably opens up a window to both my inner and outer worlds in the most unexpected ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment