Monday, September 15, 2014

Travels and traveling


I am grateful to my parents – both biological and non-biological – for providing my sister and I with incredible travel experiences from a very young age. We learned so much from traveling: how to observe our surroundings and get a “feel” for a place; how to ask for directions; how to talk to strangers and remain safe; how being polite and a genuine smile can open doors; how experiencing different cultures can make us richer; how to try new foods without wincing; how to appreciate languages and accents; and, most importantly, how to appreciate these experiences which weren’t given to everyone.

The result is that travels and traveling continue to be part of my life. And it doesn’t even need to be far! For me, what makes a trip is the exploring part: taking a drive down a heritage road in the countryside is as much of a travel experience as swimming with dolphins in Mexico or looking out from atop the Empire State Building. It’s about exploring and creating memories.

I am grateful to be able to write this entry as I explore a bit more of St. John’s, NL, and the surrounding areas. Looking forward to the next few days and exploring the Irish Loop, The Rooms, The Haunted Hikes and The Spirit of Newfoundland.

My right foot - I also have a left foot! - overlooking the St. John's Harbour.

No comments:

Post a Comment